Bolo ties can serve as a statement piece for a trendy and fashionable western inspired outfit. They are also the official neckwear of Arizona, Texas and New Mexico.
What is a Bolo Tie?
A bolo tie (1), also called as bolo tie or shoestring necklace is a part of everyday fashion accessories for men and women today. Practical, tough and elegant, the bolo tie is made of a piece of cord or braided leather with decorative metal tips and secured with an ornamental clasp or slide. The cord is threaded through a clasp or slide made of beads, metal or wood. The clasp is usually decorated or made of Western motifs and designs like bears, horses and cattle skulls.
How to Wear a Bolo Tie
There are several great ways to wear a bolo tie that will highlight your individual style but remember, bolo ties are simple, you don’t have to overdo the western look if you don’t want to. Wearing a bolo tie as a statement piece with your regular wardrobe is a great way to add some quick flair to your outfit. Here are a few ways to wear a bolo tie.
The Classic Bolo Tie
There is no correct or wrong way to wear a bolo tie (2). Traditionally, bolo ties are worn like any other neckties with a collared shirt buttoned to the top and the tie firm to your neck to achieve a sophisticated and formal appearance. Bolo ties are easy to wear and do not require complicated knots.
Shop Bolo Ties
|Aztec Bolo||Steerhead Bolo
If you’re going for the “classic look,” you need to make sure that:
- Wear your bolo beneath the collar of button-up shirts.
- Finish with the right shoes. Black pants look well with black shoes and you can wear brown shoes with other colored pants. For women, formal wear is best completed with a closed-toe shoe or heel (3).
- Select a bolo tie that matches or complements your attire. For a classic look, choose a black bolo with either an all-silver or all-gold slide and tips.
- Use the right length bolo that is proportionate to your height and neck size. It is recommended that the bolo should end about 4 inches below your breastbone (4).
- And lastly, wear it with confidence! If you’re going to wear a bolo tie, you have to own it. People will either love your bolo tie or hate your bolo tie but don’t worry about people’s opinions, wear your bolo tie boldly!
The Casual Bolo Tie
A loose bolo tie worn like a necklace can be a casual accent for any outfit (5). You can wear your bolo tie with virtually anything especially since bolo ties come in so many styles and combinations. Here are some ideas for a casual look:
- Pair your denim jacket with a bolo tie and combine it with jeans and a pair of boots to give yourself a fun casual look.
- Loosen your bolo tie to turn it into a necklace for a more casual look and match it with your other accessories.
- Wear a bolo tie with a t-shirt and wear the slide low. Casual shirts paired with shorts or shorter skirts will make the bolo more like an accessory than formal neck-wear. Also, wearing the slide halfway or lower will make it look more like an accessory than a tie.
- Use a semi-button-up shirt for a semi-casual bolo look. You can pair it with a vest for a more western look. Complete your look with pants or a shorter skirt and boots (3).
The However-You-Want Bolo Tie
Because there are no specific rules to wearing bolo ties, you can let your imagination create something unique to you an outfit that will fit your personality. Take time to experiment and discover the look you prefer. It’s fun to experiment with bolo ties as long as you stay within the “essence” of the accessory. So if you want to add a western feel to your style, try a bolo tie! And show us, we want to see how you wear it, and what you wear it with!